WWF is calling on the New Zealand Government to immediately take the following action:
- Determine the relative importance of the threats facing the sea lions.
- Revise the Department of Conservations Sea Lion Species Management Plan. - (The revised plan should provide clear, time-bound actions to address the main threats identified in the comparative assessment.)
- Develop an improved population model to guide sea lion mortality limits. - (The model should address the flaws in the current model and also consider the effect of food competition and epidemics.)
- Set a precautionary mortality limit for sea lions in the squid fishery. - (This limit should be based on the improved population model and on a conservative assessment of the effectiveness of sea lion exclusion devices.)
- Set an explicit sea lion mortality limit in the Campbell southern blue whiting fishing.
- Set precautionary allocations of squid and other southern ocean fish stocks. - (These allocations should be ecologically based and explicitly considers direct and indirect effects of fishing on sea lions.)